Election Officers Needed!
The Office of Elections is currently recruiting voters to serve as Election Officers a few days a year, including the upcoming 2016 elections. Election Officers are needed at each of the 243 precincts in Fairfax County to run the polls and assist the voters. Training has begun for the General Election November 8th and will continue through September.
In order to be an Election Officer, you must:
- Be fluent in English
- Be a registered voter in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Be able to fulfill the Federal I-9 employment eligibility requirements
- Attend a 3-hour training class
- Arrive at the polling place at 5:00 am and remain until all work has been completed after the polls close at 7pm
- Have basic computer skills
The Election Officer’s main priority is to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the election process. A typical Election Day consists of:
- arriving one hour before polls open to set up voting equipment
- hanging up pertinent signage
- preparing the polling room for voting
- processing voters throughout the day
- assisting with operating voting equipment
- securing voting equipment and closing down the polling place at the end of the day
Election Officers are offered a stipend of $175 for serving a full day. We especially encourage bilingual citizens to serve as we need language assistance in many precincts. Residency in Fairfax County is not required.
It is a wonderful opportunity for those interested in the election process or public service, and we need civic-minded individuals to help make Election Day a success!
call the Office of Elections.